Copyright 2016, Lake Guntersville Yacht Club. All Right Reserved.
LAKE GUNTERSVILLE YACHT CLUB
"...a private, members-only club located on beautiful Lake Guntersville, Alabama."
Since its inception in 1940, the Lake Guntersville Yacht Club has had a wonderful history. One filled with great memories and even some learning experiences. In 1940 a group of boaters, most of whom owned cabins on the newly formed lake, met to discuss forming a boating club. A fish fry was held at the old Gunter Home on Preston Island and 150 people came. There were four 25’ cruisers, four runabouts and a few outboard fishing boats. Twenty-three joined paying dues of $5.00. The leadership had their eye on our current site but TVA wanted the Club to be across the river near the industrial area. A chance meeting with FDR at the dedication of Chickamauga Dam finally led to approval for a 3 year lease on the current site in 1947. Dock construction began on 420 feet of dock in 1948 costing $6000. By 1953 there was a road to the highway, an open-air pavilion, barbecue pit, shuffleboard courts, and two more additions to the docks. Still there were no slips, only the Party Dock. In November, 1955, TVA finally agreed to sell the land to LGYC for $5000.00 for approximately 7.5 acres.
In 1960 the first 18 slips were built. Forty foot slips rented for $30-35 per month. A year later two men's and ladies’ showers were added to the slips (on the dock with drainage directly into the lake). New floating docks were built in 1970 (minus the showers!) at a cost of $105,465.
In 1984 the original clubhouse was expanded and the present lounge, ship’s store and kitchen were added, along with the addition of more showers and more toilets in the bathrooms. In 2009 all of A & B docks were destroyed when a storm broke the docks loose, along with all the boats attached to them. This event led the construction of our new slips and allowed us to make better use of our harbor limits. We owe a debt of gratitude to the determined leaders and members who didn’t walk away after each fire or storm but instead worked for the future of our Club so we could enjoy the facility we have today. Please check out the bulletin boards around the Club for photos and news clippings about our history.